Ramp provided for New Brighton Catholic Church
|Choral Outreach Programme - St Anne's Woolston|
|Papanui Parish Bus Trip|
The Christchurch Diocesan Earthquake Recovery Fund was set up by Bishop Barry Jones to distribute monies donated to him following the earthquake of September 4th, 2010 and the subsequent earthquakes. The fund exists to help those people affected by the earthquakes. To do this, the Diocese is seeking to help parishes and those within parishes to respond to the needs of their own community and also to the wider community. Applications are now open to parishes, organisations and interested individuals wishing to make a difference in the lives of those affected by the earthquakes.
Click on a link below to find out more...
The fund has four main goals.
- To alleviate human suffering.
- To assist community development and cultural activities especially those that seek to help rebuild community spirit and resilience in parishes and the wider community.
- To help parishes continue to meet the pastoral needs of their parishioners post-earthquake.
- To help parishes prepare for future events / improved disaster preparedness.
There are some general guidelines that also need to be taken into consideration when applying for funding.
- The application for funding must be for a project that meets needs following the earthquakes of 2010 – 2011 i.e. a need that was not there prior to this.
- Priority will be given to projects that fulfil pastoral and human relief needs that are not currently being met or are severely lacking, require supplementary help or further assistance.
- Each application must demonstrate how the funds given will be used.
- Applicants will be required to report back to the Bishop at regular intervals.
- No applications will be considered for the rebuilding of churches, capital expenditure or insurance issues.
What can the money be used for?
Applications can be made for any project, activity or initiative that meets the guidelines specified above. Please download a copy of the fund criteria and the terms and conditions for more information.
Who can apply?
Parishes, organisations or individuals within either may make application. Please note that applications must have a minimum of two applicants and be endorsed by a parish priest. Applications from the wider community are also encouraged. Organisations do not have to be Catholic to apply.
How do I apply?
Download a copy of the documents at the bottom of this page. Read carefully the terms and conditions and the fund criteria and fill in the application. The Earthquake Recovery Coordinator, Matt O'Connell, is available to help you with filling in your application and to answer any questions you might have in the process. His contact details are below.
Who decides on the applications? What is the process and timeline?
Each application will be evaluated by a committee appointed by and representing the Bishop made up of four people. Applications close on the last day of Friday of every month and the committee meets the following week to review the applications. You may be invited to meet the committee or provide more information. You will be notified of the committee's decision as soon as possible after they have met and made a decision.
Need more information?
Please contact the Earthquake Recovery Coordinator if you have any further questions. He is available to help you work through your application and to give you any advice or ideas that you may need. Matt O'Connell can be contacted on 03 366 9869, 027 536 9407 or by sending him an email