Vision, Purpose and Mission
The existence of the Catholic Education Office reflects a commitment of the Bishop, and the whole Catholic community of the Catholic Diocese of Christchurch, to the education of the young, and 'not so young', within a faith environment, grounded in the vision of Christ. This education takes place in the Parishes and in the Schools of the Diocese.
Our role, as administrators, is to minister to the ministers; our role is one of service.
In responding to the direction and imperatives given to us above, we have developed, and are committed to faithfully responding to, and realising, the following vision, purpose and mission:
Our Vision is a future where our work ensures the Catholic Diocese of Christchurch is abla to positively respond to the current challenges facing the educational mission of the Church, in order to always be in a position to:
Let future generations learn, and "Teach their young to trust God"
Our Purpose is to best utilise our talents and skills to lead, serve and assist those involved in the educational mission of the Church in the Catholic Diocese of Christchurch in order to continue to let future generations learn, and enable them to grow up, to teach their young to trust God, to remember great deeds, and to cherish the law (Psalm 78)
Our Mission, for the benefit of those involved in the educational mission of the Church in the Catholic Diocese of Christchurch, is to:
- Value biblically;
- Listen intently
- Think wisely;
- Challenge compassionately;
- Act justly;
- Praise appropriately
The Catholic Education Office's influence on educational outcomes within Catholic schools and parishes is somewhat indirect. We are not a provider of education to students in classrooms or parish Sacramental/Religious Education programmes. We are, in the main, a provider of leadership & training, support & development, for those who are actively engaged leading Catholic schools and parishes and educating students in classrooms and parish Sacramental/Religious Education programmes.
Our role is based on three main areas of influence. We aim to provide:
(a) professional and personal development opportunities,
(b) resources, and
(c) pro-active leadership, guidance and support
for those engaged in the educational mission of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Christchurch. For example, we provide:
- In-service Religious Education courses for teachers at all levels.
- In-school support for teachers of Religious Education.
- Certificate in Catechetical Studies for student teachers.
- Diploma in Religious Studies (Stream: Religious Education) for teachers.
- Health Curriculum resources and support for teachers.
- An external Special Catholic Character Review and Development process for schools.
- Study Awards for the Australian Catholic University√s Master of Educational Leadership.
- Study Awards for the Australian Catholic University√s Master of Religious Education.
- A Parish Primary Religious Education (PPRE) programme and support for parish leaders of PPRE.
- The Sharing in the Life of Christ (SITLOC) programme and support for parish leaders of SITLOC.
- Resources for Catholic Faith Exploration in parishes
- A Children√s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW) programme for parishes.
In all these endeavours the Catholic Education Office seeks, through its policies, budget, advice and relationships, to promote a holistic model of education for the schools and parishes it serves.
For more information see www.chchceo.org.nz